PDA

View Full Version : 4.3l swap to vortec 4.3?

jared_riding
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I HAVE A 95 JIMMY WITH 4.3 VORTEC THAT IS WRECKED. I WANT TO PUT ITS GOOD ENGINE IN MY 90 MODEL S10 WITH BAD ENGINE.WHAT WILL IT TAKE. I KNOW IT WILL BOLT RIGHT UP, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COMPUTER?
1 PERSON TOLD ME DO IT ,BUT SWITCH THE WIRING HARNESS AND COMPUTER.THAT SOUNDS COMPLICATED.ON ANOTHER NOTE WHAT ABOUT THE TRAN, THEY ARE BOTH AUTO ,BUT WILL THE COMPUTER EFFECT IT.
IF IT WILL BE REALLY HARD TO SWAP I MIGHT JUST REBUILD THE ENGINE IN THE S10.

HELP:confused:

i_UZu HOmbre
10-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I HAVE A 95 JIMMY WITH 4.3 VORTEC THAT IS WRECKED. I WANT TO PUT ITS GOOD ENGINE IN MY 90 MODEL S10 WITH BAD ENGINE.WHAT WILL IT TAKE. I KNOW IT WILL BOLT RIGHT UP, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COMPUTER?
1 PERSON TOLD ME DO IT ,BUT SWITCH THE WIRING HARNESS AND COMPUTER.THAT SOUNDS COMPLICATED.ON ANOTHER NOTE WHAT ABOUT THE TRAN, THEY ARE BOTH AUTO ,BUT WILL THE COMPUTER EFFECT IT.

Are they both V6's?

AaronK
10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
You would have to swap all the electronics over. 95 has a different injection type.

jared_riding
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
yes they are the same v6.

how hard is it to change all electrical?

Cyanide Jello
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Basically you're gonna have to gut the 90 model of ALL of the engine related harness and engine and swap the engine in and splice the harnesses together...

layitlo
10-22-2008, 07:54 PM

What type of injection do they both have on them? Are they both vortecs?

jared_riding
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
the 90 model has a throttle body i think and the vortec has regular fuel injection as far as i know.

i think your right on having to replace all wiring. i am really leaning toward just rebuilding the original 90 engine and scraping the jimmy with the vortec.

idea? would the vortec engine work if i put the 90 models heads and intake on it???

layitlo
10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
the 90 model has a throttle body i think and the vortec has regular fuel injection as far as i know.

i think your right on having to replace all wiring. i am really leaning toward just rebuilding the original 90 engine and scraping the jimmy with the vortec.

idea? would the vortec engine work if i put the 90 models heads and intake on it???

The non vortec heads won't work on the tbi. If you did do the swap with the 95 vortec motor it's not hard to swap the wires. I did it on my 88 blazer with a 2.8 and swapped in a tbi 4.3. You'd have to put the dash from both of them and unplug all of the wires to make it work. I was hoping you had a good block on the 90 cause the vortec heads would fit it but you'd still have to swap the wires over. How bad wrecked is the 95 jimmy?

jared_riding
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
the 95 engine is great the passanger side is jacked. front fender and suspension are ruined.

so replacing all wiring would consist of unpluging everything behind the dash and pluging in the harness from the 95 into the 90.
should most just be plugs or will it be alot of splicing.
also i assume i swap the computers and work from that.

03dirtydime
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
If you decide the scrap it PM vivalahammer he might want some interior parts.

layitlo
10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
the 95 engine is great the passanger side is jacked. front fender and suspension are ruined.

so replacing all wiring would consist of unpluging everything behind the dash and pluging in the harness from the 95 into the 90.
should most just be plugs or will it be alot of splicing.
also i assume i swap the computers and work from that.

Well that sucks. If you did the swap you would have to unbolt the harness from the outside leaving it plugged into the motor still. Then you have to unbolt the harness from the wall on the outside and pull it in. It'll be the fuse box too on the inside. Then you pull the dash and unplug the wires from it then you will have all of the wires going to the computer to the fuse box and the ones that would go to the motor and trans. You might need the trans too. If the 95 has a electronic speedo it will not work with the 90 trans cause I think it would hae the cable driven speedo. If you could do it with by taking the motor and trans at the same time it would be easier to do it that way. IT is alot of work but the 95 motor won't run unless you get everything from it. And to help you you should take a ton of picks cause they can help you later on.

AaronK
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Correct on the 90, it is TBI. The 95 model is a CPI or Central Port Injection. Basically the injectors do fire sequentially through the cylinders (where as the TBI just squirts fuel down the TB and hopes for the best), but it injects from a central point on the TB and not on each cylinder (MPI...Multi-Port Injection)

vivalahammer
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
where are you located?

lowdimebill
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
i just bought a wrecked 95 for the motor and put my 86 body on the 95 frame and changer the whole harness. if you decide to chang the harness make sure you mark everything you unplug. i made a mistake of not doing it and it took forever to figure it out

ArkSonoma
04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey Guys with the experience...I plan to replace a 95 4.3L TBI (265K mi) with a 2001 4.3L Vortec and need all advice possible.
Getting engine/5-sp from guy with a donor truck. He's keepn all the body parts except the cab (wrecked around third door). If I'm able to get the dash, etc as well does anyone know if I can basically replace my 95 Sonoma dash with the 2001 S10 dash and may the engine and all the accessories work properly - OR can it be done without the donor dash.
This is my daily (100+ miles) driver and although I love my truck I'm not shooting for a show truck nor can I afford to trade, just need another 200K-300K miles!!
I tried a thread under "engine" but didn't create alot of action - maybe an old subject??

s10truckin
09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Are they both V6's?

DONT DO IT!!! Vortecs are known for blown head gaskets and loss of power.

88Jimmy
09-04-2009, 10:38 PM
DONT DO IT!!! Vortecs are known for blown head gaskets and loss of power.

Bullshit, my 92 4.3L Vortec had plenty of fucking power even with 500+K miles, yes that is correct over HALF A MILLION. The only thing I did was intake gaskets, upper plenum gaskets, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, fuel regulator, and a few other misc items that are basically labeled as "tune up" parts...

Ask b00nd0x when he gets back from WV, I could pull that truck out from ANYWHERE and roast the fucking tires until I let off of it...