PDA

View Full Version : Steering shake wen goin over bumps.....could cause and accident please help me

SportS15
08-24-2009, 03:19 AM
ok...wen moving at an ok to very high speed...and i hit bump in the road my steering shakes VERY badly....it didnt do this wen i bought it...i hav to grip the wheel tightly wen this happens to keep control of it cuz it shakes back and forth... i have 3 in of playin the wheel and it seems to shake back and forth about tht much....could tht play be causing the shake? wat can i do about it?:confused::confused::confused::confused::(:(:(: (

03dirtydime
08-24-2009, 07:47 AM
lift it up, try to move the wheel up and down, if it moves alot you need balljoints. If you can move it left to right tie rods. If you can pull it in and out wheel bearings.

zerobudget S10
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
bump steer. lol.

i agree with Carl.

SportS15
08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
ok cuz...it seems...it started not all that long after i lowered it.........soo...yeah....im not sure how to do ball joints tho

camaro590
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
it could be ur idler arm mine did that for awhile intell i changed that, to check it jack the truck up so that tires are off the ground and have some one steer it back and forth if there is slop on the arm that should be it..

SportS15
08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
there is slop in teh idler arm...it cause the entire linkage to shake....everything is tight cept the idle arm

lil red s10
08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
change it...it's three bolts. and 17 dollars at advanced auto parts.

AaronK
08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
There is suppose to be some forward-backward movement to accommodate the geometry change as you steer. But probably wouldn't hurt to change if there's excessive movement.
Could be your BJs, hubs, idler arm, tie rod ends, steering box. The whole steering system on these trucks blows.

SportS15
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
There is suppose to be some forward-backward movement to accommodate the geometry change as you steer. But probably wouldn't hurt to change if there's excessive movement.
Could be your BJs, hubs, idler arm, tie rod ends, steering box. The whole steering system on these trucks blows.

got an idler arm.. $11.98....but it still does it but not as bad....its still bad but dealable....i just dont wana hit a bump and somfin come flying apart

AaronK
08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
$11.98??? Which one did you get? Damn that's cheap. Scarily cheap. Moog one is $50.

Jack your front end up and rock your tire side-to-side (as it would move if you were steering) and then also up and down (one hand on top one hand on bottom, same motion). That'll help determine where you play is coming from. As old as your truck is, you may very well have a worn steering gearbox.

lil red s10
08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
the shop told me 300 to get my truck inspection readt cuz of a tire and the idler arm. bought a used tire and had it mounted for $45 and the idler arm cost me $17 and 45 minutes. damn bolt kept spinnin.

vivalahammer
08-28-2009, 12:41 AM
have someone look under while you shake the steering wheel back and forth. if it moves within like a 2-3 inch difference, thats the problem area lol

SportS15
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
have someone look under while you shake the steering wheel back and forth. if it moves within like a 2-3 inch difference, thats the problem area lol

lik i siad b4..the steering box is loose....has lota play..could it all just b in the box? cuz everything else looks tight

88Jimmy
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Lol, the steering boxes on all these trucks are loose... Unless you get a ZQ8 or Z/28 Camaro steering box it'll be like that... A new one is only 150 bucks... Suck it up and buy a new one or go pull one off a low-mileage truck from the junkyard... Should only be about 25 bucks...

oldgangstergandhi
08-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Together with the previously mentioned bushings could add to problem.I am replacing my lower left control arm today. you can buy a new control arm with ball joint and bushings from Auto Zone for $109.00.Thats cheaper and easier then buying and replacing the parts alone.