PDA

View Full Version : best way to stiffen the rear

lil red s10
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
been looking into it and i know they make stiffer leaf springs but is there a way to stiffen the hell outta the rear aside from that. i've mainly been working on cars and know about the coilover setup and all and have seen that set up for the front of the s10. but what about the back? just tryin to figure it out before i finish my swap in the truck.

Cyanide Jello
02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
You're not gonna get much stiffer with springs...

Look into an air helper spring kit from stylinconcepts.com...

You could look into a coil over setup with an eye at each end and bolt it into your stock shock mounts...

You could run air shocks...

Run a 3 or 4 link with a panhard bar...

You could look into air ride then you'd have stiffness/softness on demand...

You could run a bridge from one side of the frame to the other and mount shock tabs on it and shock tabs on the axle and go with coil overs mounted there...

If you don't go with a link setup look into gettin a sway bar...

If you drop the rear of the truck on 3" blocks alone it'll stiffen it up a bit....

AaronK
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Air shocks are prolly the easiest route. Or add-a-leaf but that's prolly goin the wrong way for you ;)

lxtasy
02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Why stiff? If for handling have you thought about maybe just replacing the leaf springs with brand new ones (if yours are old and sagging) and install some poly bushings in the leaf springs as well? How about a sway bar? New shocks?

Do you want stiff as in beat your teeth in stiff (go air shocks and jack up the psi)
Or do you want stiff as in nice and tight and handle great?

lil red s10
02-25-2009, 09:00 PM
lookin for it to handle pretty god. does now cuz it has that zq8 suspension. never heard of it til now. just startin to get into truck suspension. it's my first truck but i always wanted one. handles good for as heavy as it is. it's gonna be driven often but i wanna beat the shit outta them civic and rams that fuck with me with the 4 banger.

Cyanide Jello
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
If it were me and you're just wanting to "stiffen" it... I'd just throw some 3" blocks up under it and I'm not sure if ZQ8s have sways in the rear but I'd look into that...

SportS15
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
i think the ZQ8s have a heavier sway bar in the front but i think they still use just leafs in the back but im not 100% sure, i would go with the 3in drop blocks, its the cheapest/ easiest way, plus u get a great stance out of the truck as well,

lil red s10
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
haven't looked too much into it. gonna raise up the truck sometime tomorrow and check it out. prolly just gonna go with a 3 in drop. extremes sit 2 in lower than stock s10s.

SportS15
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
i know the Xtreme sits lower, im not sure if it has a drop kit factory or if its just the body kit, i have a firts gen and im goin with a 4/5 drop i hope, 3in blocks should make a big diff, tighten it up a bit;)

lil red s10
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
it's lower. the s10 headlights sit 23in off the ground. the extreme sits 21.

88Jimmy
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
ZQ8's have an anti-hop shock in the rear with a thicker swaybar up front. They are also 2/3 dropped from the factory. If you want a stiffer ride, look into new Bilstein shocks or air shocks, and put some 2 or 3" blocks in the rear... You can also pick up a rear swaybar off a newer model blazer or jimmy. You have to do a bit of fabrication to get the mounting tabs to work on an s-10 though. Finally, look into tires... Tires can be a big contributing factor to handling... Mind you though.. This is a 3400lb truck and it's not going to handle like the Honda's and such that blast around town thinking their the shit. You need to also look into poly bushing for the front upper and lower control arms, bushings for the front swaybar endlinks, bushing for rear swaybar, rear leafspring bushings, and also look into a new front steering linkage setup from MOOG or the later. Ball joints can also effect suspension stiffness and will provide even more tightness...

Just some things to look into....

88Jimmy
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh and I mentioned all of the frontend stuff because, if you just do the ass-end it'll end up feeling sloppy in the front so make sure whatever you do to the rear, you also do to the front.... Oh, and if you drop the back with 2 or 3" blocks make sure you pick up a set of 2" drop spindles for the front... BIIIG improvement right there in ride quality and stability...

lil red s10
02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah, i'll always do the front just as well as the back. i'ma put all new bushing for the suspension, motor, and tranny when i get started with the swap. i think the company is energy suspension or something or other. they have black and a orange red set of bushings.