S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Mechanical > Fuel

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, fault codes P0452 and P0453

My 98 Chevy S-10 left me stranded a few weeks ago when the fuel pump failed.

I replaced the old fuel pump with an AirTec purchased from AutoZone.

The job involved removing the tank to get at the fuel pump and replacing a 4 pin electric connector to fit the new fuel pump. For reliability I solder spliced the new connector instead of using the crimp splices that came with the new pump.

The task of replacing the fuel pump took me about six hours and when I was done the truck ran as good as ever no fuel leaks no problems.

Several weeks later my Service Engine light comes on, although the engine continues to run fine.

I went to AutoZone and ran a diagnostic. I got a fault code of P0452 and P0453, indicating a problem with the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, a component attached to the fuel pump unit I replaced. Why should a new unit go bad?

I hate the thought removing the gas tank again to trouble shoot this problem. If I botched the job or the part I replaced was defective why would it take several weeks to occur?

Aside from the obnoxious engine warning light the truck runs fine. Would it do any harm to ignore this problem?

Last edited by Dave; 05-27-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 AM

Are you positive your gas cap was on tight??

CLICK THE LINK!!!!/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 High View Post
OH NOOOOO...how will we ever find anyone else who knows anything about
s10s??? HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to McLovin Send a message via MSN to McLovin Send a message via Yahoo to McLovin

i would take the battery off and let the lights go away. if they come back on right after you connect the battery again then there is a problem. but like "WHO" said have you checked your gas cap. that is a common result in codes showing for fuel pressure.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM

I believe a better way to reset the computer is to take out the ignition fuse for twenty seconds.

In replacing the fuel pump every aspect of the job went well accept one little thing I botched up.

In attempting to siphon out the gas tank, I learned about the ball check valve at the base of the filler neck attached to a rubber hose connecting to the gas tank.

I learned the hard way it is impossible to get a siphon hose into the tank. When I withdrew the siphon hose I mangled up the metal flap valve where you fill the tank. This would leave only the gas cap and ball check valve to keep the gas tank airtight.

I think I'll try temporarily replacing the gas cap with a piece of saran rap and rubber band. This should make an airtight seal and extinguish the error, proving the fault is either the gas cap or flap valve.

If I still cant get the light extinguished, I'll try attaching a toy balloon to the filler neck by cutting off the tip and stretching it over the filler neck and applying a rubber band to hold it on (I never tried this but I think its possible). I"ll inflate the balloon and watch for it to deflate. Hopefully I'll be able to find any leak from the filler neck attachments to the O ring around the fuel pump.

If the the balloon stays inflated there are no leaks. The problem must be a faulty tank pressure switch or wiring.

Last edited by Dave; 05-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM

PS: This problem is puzzling. If my mangled flap valve or loose gas cap was the problem, It should have failed immediately after the job was done. Why did it take several weeks to develop?

I hate the thought of having to drop the tank or jack up the bed to repair leaks.

Last edited by Dave; 05-28-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to McLovin Send a message via MSN to McLovin Send a message via Yahoo to McLovin

not true. it could have happened when you got gas recently. you could have not put the cap back on correctly or what not.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM

I always give the cap a good twist till I hear the sliding clicks. Interestingly the problem did occur after filling up. My gas cap was checked about a month ago as part of NM state Once every two year emissions inspection. I've been using the same locked gas cap for over 11 years. Never had a problem before.

The gas cap has been removed and installed since the initial fault, yet the fault persists.

I don't think the problem is gas cap related.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 PM

if the cap is 11 years old then it might be time for a new one. the cap probably lossed the seal in it to keep it air tight. caps can go bad.lol. ut just took the dump that day.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 PM

I checked the O ring seal on the gas cap and the mating surface of the filler neck, they are smooth no visible nicks or burs.

I wish it was the gas cap, but I think the problem would most likely be caused by my changing the fuel pump two weeks ago.

I have another Chevy S10 a 97, which I also changed the fuel pump after the one in my 98 failed. I don't ever want to be stranded for a fuel pump again. Both my 98 and 97 S10's now have new fuel pumps, the 97 has no problems though, I'll swap gas caps.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03dirtydime Send a message via Yahoo to 03dirtydime

The metal flap has nothing to do with it at all....Thats just there to keep gas from getting to the cap as much. Gas caps do go bad,seen a 09 Pointaic come in with 500 miles with a bad gas cap.

01 noma- In the works of a rebuild with a SBC