S10 Forums

Go Back   S10 Forums > Mechanical > Forced Induction

Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM

Default 2.2 Turbo for s10 Xtreme

I was looking for a turbo kit for my 2001 s-10 xtreme.
i found one kit sold online for 2,000 or better.
has anyone on here bought and used the turbo, stage I, II, or III from ?turbos-10.com?

I'm new to this forum, but I have a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell) Turbo. I'm familiar with all the boosting technology.

Stage I is supposed to raise the HP from 100 to 200. Also increase highway fuel efficiency from 26 to 31 mpg.

It sounds like a pretty sweet upgrade, without having to take the time to change harnesses and motor mounts to swap to a 4.3l. The 4.3 doesn't even have the hp that the turbo provides. Does it?

Stage I mounts in front of the Fan. This is supposed to lower 1/4th mile ET to 14 seconds down from 17ish. (I'm not the pro with these trucks, but know what I consider to be a fair amount of information.)

Stage II mounts on the driver's side of the engine bay and requires the AC components to be removed.

Stage III was custom.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to lil red s10 Send a message via Yahoo to lil red s10

the 4.3 is close to 200. i believe it's around 180-190. if you turbo'd yours due to the motor you would have a lil less wieght. so..you'd be able to at least take a stock one if it put you to 200 hp. watch your internals and how much boost your runnin. i wouldn't go above 8 psi on stock internals.

2000 s-dyme (LS3) full rebuild
2000 zx2 dd gettin a tune n a drop (sold)
2000 r6 fun toy
2007 Galant - daily

i want a GS300.

i never grew up. my toys just got more expensive.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 PM

I'd custom make my own kit... Ebay turbos are your best friend when you're runnin very little boost... You can piece together your own kit on ebay for less than 800 bux... You gotta custom make a manifold though unless you buy it from dts2.net...

Theres a few things you can do once you get the turbo kit to add a few extra horses... Hot tank the head, 1.6 rocker arms, roller lifters, test and flow the injectors, efan, a/c delete, PS delete (these trucks are easy to turn w/o PS), 8.2mm plug wires, bigger gapped plugs, shave the head to up compression, seafoam the engine, and of course TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE...

Current - 90 Hoodride CRX Si boosted d16z6
Sold - 89 EF hatch - Sold - built D16Z6T 98 EK Civic - Traded - Shav'd and Bag'd 94 S10 - Sold - Slam'd 91 s10 - Sold - 85 Skyhawk 2.0t
[/font]
Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03dirtydime Send a message via Yahoo to 03dirtydime

1.6 rollers won't help him....They've came in the 2.2's 98+....If you suggest shaving the head instead of porting it, you need help. The ports in the head in the 2.2 is the weak link, I barely ported mine as I have no clue about the water jeckets in there and didn't want to ruin my head. For the most part I port matched intake and exhaust, also made the valve bowls bigger, and removed little from the ports and I could definatly tell a difference with a missing cylinder.

If he has flex fuel injectors (short and skinny, and I mean SHORT and SKINNY) he won't need to upgrade injectors until around 250-ish hp. Stock flex fuel injectors are capable of flowing 44lbs.

For the gain of losing PS he could do under drives and make the same power. He should DEFINATLY upgrade his 52mm throttlebody to a quad 4 56mm TB. It makes a HUGE difference, even on stock motors.

If you put out 150ish you could take a stock 4.3. I've taken a few stock 4.3's with bolt on's. People doubt the little 2.2, but when you do your research and P.M. the 2.2 can pay off.

The biggest thing you need to decide is do you wanna lose A/C? and how much do you have to spend?

01 noma- In the works of a rebuild with a SBC
Old 08-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Cool

money really isn't an issue.
I'd settle for the 8 psi of boost. At least for a little while.
I like my A/C for those hot and humid days.
I'd rather buy a kit that's been produced, so if I break something, I can replace the part with ease.
I dont' want to tear the engine apart to rebuild. I'd just like a bolt on 100 hp so the damn truck can climb hills without downshifting into 3rd.

one thing holding me back from doing this is the Diff I have in my Truck. It's not a LSD. the 2.2, the way it is, barely spins one tire. I'd probably put the turbo+intercooler on it and then see what it does. If it's incredibly crappy, I'd look for the LSD.

The truck has 50,000 miles on it now. It's not a DD, just a summer fun cruiser and was a chick picker uper years ago. Got a good GF 3 years ago and we're still together.

Another thing here... I have the Xtreme. The intercooler for that kit mounts right behind the front clip of the ground effects package. It (the intercooler) wouldn't get much flow at all the way it is!

Any advice, more info, experienced turbo-s10 people's opinions WANTED!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Just b/c its an s10 don't mean shit... You're still talkin boost... Most of the time on stock internals you don't wanna run more than 7-8psi... You'll deffinately need to cut a hole in the valance if you want good flow to the intercooler, which you need, btw... If you piece together your own kit it'll be cheaper... Just upgrade as you go... You're also not goin to gain 100hp w/ a turbo runnin 7lbs of boost... Est. 10hp per lb. of boost... No LSD = rolling starts are your friend...

Sold - 89 EF hatch - Sold - built D16Z6T 98 EK Civic - Traded - Shav'd and Bag'd 94 S10 - Sold - Slam'd 91 s10 - Sold - 85 Skyhawk 2.0t
[/font]
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM

As I am also putting a turbo on my 2.2 s10 I would say go with putting it together yourself. Everything only cost me about 600 bucks or so. (Not including gages) If you buy a kit and something breaks you will prob have to source your own parts anyway. I would not pay 2k for a turbo kit that is most likely uses very cheap parts. You can give me 1500 and i'll make you a totally wicked sweet kit. HAHA

There is no way you are going to get 100hp out of a basic set up. The stock internals in the 2.2 should be able to hold up to 10 lbs of boost with out much of an issue if your at sea level running premium gas. I don't know if you have done anything to the truck but just putting a cold air intake on it and an exhaust you will increase your low end torque. I can burn my tires very easily and can put the truck sideways almost as easily as my car. (86 300zx turbo)
Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo22 View Post
As I am also putting a turbo on my 2.2 s10 I would say go with putting it together yourself. Everything only cost me about 600 bucks or so. (Not including gages) If you buy a kit and something breaks you will prob have to source your own parts anyway. I would not pay 2k for a turbo kit that is most likely uses very cheap parts. You can give me 1500 and i'll make you a totally wicked sweet kit. HAHA

There is no way you are going to get 100hp out of a basic set up. The stock internals in the 2.2 should be able to hold up to 10 lbs of boost with out much of an issue if your at sea level running premium gas. I don't know if you have done anything to the truck but just putting a cold air intake on it and an exhaust you will increase your low end torque. I can burn my tires very easily and can put the truck sideways almost as easily as my car. (86 300zx turbo)
Waaaaaaaaat?! lawlz... I love you already...

600 dollar turbo kit? Where you gettin your shit from? Ebay? A DECENT turbo kit costs 1500... And thats just get you turboed... That doesn't include all the accessories to make you run right...

And yes you can get 100hp out of a basic setup...

10lbs of boost on ANY stock n/a motor is a bit much... That also depends on the turbo size as well... If you do run 10lbs of boost I HIGHLY recommend a better aftermarket head gasket and some ARP head studs...

[/font]